[Web-SIG] Grail resurrection

Seo Sanghyeon tinuviel at sparcs.kaist.ac.kr
Fri Nov 14 12:27:55 EST 2003

.
-------------- next part --------------
Hello, I'm very interested in Python web client programming.
What do you think about resurrecting Grail? Undoubtedly a web
browser is a web client...

I checked out Grail CVS, and try to run it with Python 2.2.
(Grail uses rexec, which is disabled in Python 2.3...) It doesn't
work out of the box, but with an small patch below it seems
to be functional. (Basically, 1.5 compatibility class httplib.HTTP
is not compatible enough.)

Bookmark doesn't work. Scrolling is screwed in pages using tables.
JPG causes an error. But at least I can read Python Tutorial
just fine.

Is anyone here interested in resurrecting/modernizing Grail?
I think the effort's results will be helpful to Python web client
programming community in general.

*** cvs/grail/src/protocols/httpAPI.py	13 Nov 2003 10:07:28 -0000	1.1.1.1
--- cvs/grail/src/protocols/httpAPI.py	13 Nov 2003 10:51:15 -0000	1.2
***************
*** 52,57 ****
--- 52,63 ----

  class MyHTTP(httplib.HTTP):

+     # Compatibility hack
+     def __init__(self, host):
+         httplib.HTTP.__init__(self, host)
+         self.connect(host)
+         self.sock = self._conn.sock
+
      def putrequest(self, request, selector):
          self.selector = selector
          httplib.HTTP.putrequest(self, request, selector)