[Web-SIG] WSGI middleware library

James Gardner james at pythonweb.org
Tue Feb 1 17:53:01 CET 2005

Ian Bicking wrote:

> What do people think about collaborating on a kind of "standard"
> library of WSGI middleware?  (Not standard like
> distributed-with-Python, just well publicized.)  This is what I've
> tried to put together a little with WSGIKit, though not all parts of
> it would apply.  And other people are, I think, starting to develop
> the same things, perhaps with some overlap.  Maybe we can pool our
> efforts together.

I think this is a good idea. There are sometimes different approaches
that can be taken to implementing similar functionality within WSGI and
there is usually a best one. If we share ideas we are more likely to
come up with the better solutions. There are also a lot of things which
have only one good solution and there is no point in duplicating work.

> I'd expect everyone involved to have ulterior motives, i.e., they'd
> all have their own separate pet projects and whatnot, and wouldn't be
> looking to this library (alone) to solve all their needs.  And that
> would be good, another part of what would keep this from being Yet
> Another Framework.  Together this should be attractive to people who
> like to delete code ;)  (Code deleted is code debugged!)

If middleware components are built as classes it would be easy for
implementors to derive their own classes from the standard ones to
implement say session storage for their particular framework so I think
this would be of benefit to everyone and wouldn't necessarily result in
a lot of people pulling in different directions. I'd certainly find it
helpful.

What might also be useful is a guide to writing WSGI middleware and
applications with examples of all the different ways of doing common
things incorporating any ideas or tips people have found useful whilst
writing their implementations. Perhaps we could start this on the wiki?

James
--
http://www.pythonweb.org/