[Web-SIG] WSGI diagram

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Aug 21 01:32:50 CEST 2007

Cliff Wells wrote:
>> In Apache
>> mod_wsgi, a new FASTCGI like daemon mode was specifically implemented
>> to try and come up with an improvement over the sometimes hard to
>> configure and get working FASTCGI implementations for Apache.
>
> Personally, I think FastCGI is too difficult on every server and that
> may be another motivation for the author.

If they ship their own supported FastCGI Python client, then this
shouldn't be a problem.  Because of WSGI they don't really need to
support different FastCGI Python clients; or, for that matter, if they
can get the FastCGI system to work well then they don't need to worry
about other ways of embedding Python.

The problem with FastCGI is when it's ad hoc recipes and supports
multiple clients of different quality or features.  But there's nothing
stopping them from skipping that, supporting one FastCGI Python client,
and having a very simple system as a result.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org
             : Write code, do good : http://topp.openplans.org/careers