[Web-SIG] serving (potentially large) files through wsgi?

Robert Brewer fumanchu at aminus.org
Mon Dec 24 05:35:44 CET 2007

Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> On 22/12/2007, Brian Smith <brian at briansmith.org> wrote:
> > Manlio Perillo wrote:
> > > Instead of using sys.stderr, a better solution is to add a new log
> > > object to the WSGI environment dictionary, so that each
> > > application can have its error log redirected to different files.
> >
> > I agree, but (a) that would have to be standardized somewhere to be
> > useful, and (b) you still have to deal with code that isn't aware of
> > this new functionality--especially libraries that are not WSGI-
> > specific, and existing WSGI 1.0 applications.
>
> The more and more that this discussion goes on, the conclusion I am
> coming to is that WSGI applications should simply not be using the web
> server log files for application logging at all.

I still say the answer to "should logging be done by the application or
server?" is "neither". We need a component that covers the "everything
else" of WSGI; that is, the environment in which servers and
applications are instantiated, connected, started, stopped, and shut
down. Logging should be offered by that component.

http://www.cherrypy.org/wiki/WSPBSpec

Robert Brewer
fumanchu at aminus.org