[Web-SIG] serving (potentially large) files through wsgi?

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 11:34:15 CET 2007

On 24/12/2007, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
> Graham Dumpleton ha scritto:

> >> The problem with this is that log files cannot be easily rotated.
> >
> > There are rotating log handlers in the Python logging package.
>
> The problem is that it is not interoperable with external tools like
> logrotate.

Why does it need to be interoperable? If the logging module handler
does the rotation then you don't need logrotate to be doing it again.

The issue with things like logrotate is that either the application
doing the logging has to be able to accept a signal to tell it to
close and reopen the log file, or the application itself needs to
simply close and reopen the log file on a periodic basis.

As I said before, the other option it to use a log handler which uses
syslog/syslog-ng instead and have those packages handle rotation and
other stuff for you.

Graham