[Web-SIG] Announcing bobo

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 07:42:17 CEST 2009

2009/6/20 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com>:

> On Jun 18, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Etienne Robillard wrote:
>>
>> It is suggested that most web frameworks authors aims at a very (wide?)
>> audience and bet that most peoples are bozos, clowns, or idiots. I think
>> this rationale might work in some cases, because users of thoses
>> frameworks indeed might not have all those hard-core technical
>> knowledges about, say, URL routing, WSGI or even schema migration.
>

> I won't speak for other frameworks, but bobo's target audience is "idiots"
> in the same sense that the popular "idiot's guides" and "dummies" books are
> aimed at idiots and dummies.  Of course, these books and bobo aren't
> *really* aimed at idiots or dummies (or bozos or clowns -- well maybe
> clowns). They're aimed at people who don't really want hard-core knowledge.
> They want to learn something quickly so that they can get things done.  In
> my experience, many people writing web applications want to focus on their
> applications.  They aren't really interested in nitty-gritty plumbing
> details, they just want to get their application working well.  For many
> people, web development isn't their full time job.  It's one of many things
> they do and they don't want to have a lot to remember or re-learn. Many
> full-time web developers have more interesting things to focus on that
> publishing mechanics. I know I do.

Personally I believe 'bobo' would be a good alternative for the people
who currently get drawn to the simplicity of 'publisher' in
mod_python, especially if things are setup within Apache such that all
they need to do is drop the bobo script file into their existing
Apache document directories like they can now with 'publisher'. This
way all the high level URL dispatch to specific bobo scripts is done
for them and they don't have to care about it. With the provision of
the request object, they can just get on with coding their
application, adding any custom URL dispatching within the script file
as needs be. Work in a way of automatically handling application
process reloading when they make changes, and you start to approach
the ease of doing things that PHP developers are so used to, and for
which they cannot work out why Python is so hard in comparison.

Graham