[Web-SIG] [RFC] x-wsgiorg.suspend extension

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sun Apr 11 22:07:32 CEST 2010

I'm not sure about the correct procedure to follow, I hope it is not a
problem.

I here propose the x-wsgiorg.suspend to be accepted as official WSGI
extension, using the wsgiorg namespace.

The extension is documented in doc/wsgiorg.suspend.rst document in the
txwsgi source distribution, available on:
http://bitbucket.org/mperillo/txwsgi/

The direct link to the specification is:
http://bitbucket.org/mperillo/txwsgi/src/tip/doc/wsgiorg.suspend.rst

The extension is implemented in txwsgi implementation for Twisted Web
server, and I'm going to implement it in the ngx_http_wsgi_module
implementation for Nginx server.

The extension is very easy to implement.
It also generalize the proposed x-wsgiorg.fdevent extension.

Please, see
http://bitbucket.org/mperillo/txwsgi/src/tip/doc/examples/demo_fdevent.py
for a comparison of the same example described in fdevent specification,
implemented using suspend and Twisted reactor API.

Thanks to Christopher Stawarz for writing the fdevent specification,
since I was able to use it as a reference.

Some additional notes.
x-wsgiorg.suspend extension can be implemented in both WSGI 1.0 and the
proposed WSGI 2.0.  However, due to the lack of start_response support,
the usability is limited.

Thanks and regards   Manlio Perillo