[Web-SIG] [Python-Dev] Add PEP 444, Python Web3 Interface.

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Thu Sep 16 02:38:20 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:02 AM, John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:
> On 9/15/2010 4:44 PM, python-dev-request at python.org wrote:
>>
>> ``SERVER_PORT`` must be a bytes instance (not an integer).
>
>   What's that supposed to mean?  What goes in the "bytes
> instance"?  A character string in some format?  A long binary
> number?  If the latter, with which byte ordering?  What
> problem does this\ solve?

(Posting to web-sig):

I can see value in this (some-what). There are certain situations
(UNIX Sockets) where
SERVER_PORT is irrelevant and doesn't make sense. In my experience
setting this to
0 or None is probably okay (when it used to be an int). Can't comment
on byte ordering,
or format, etc... Perhaps SERVER_PORT should be left as it was in the
original PEP 333
specs as an int (or None?)

cheers
James