[XML-SIG] IPC7 results

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:31:18 -0500 (EST)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:
>I'm not so sure that we need to worry about namespaces. From what I
>hear enthusiasm about them in the W3C is waning, nor does there seem
>to be all that much enthusiasm among implementors.

	I'm surprised to hear that, since various standards are using
namespaces.  Sjoerd and Greg have already pointed out SMIL and DAV;
I'll add RDF.

>The trouble is that it will be very hard (if at all possible) to do
>this without doing damage to backwards compatibility.

	Since it's already possible to do namespace handling "by hand"
-- look for attributes like xmlns:??? in your elements, and keep track
of them -- I was thinking of simply providing a new
NamespaceAwareSAXHandler class that came with the namespace handling
built-in.

>Other than that everything looked good to me. I'll take a look at the
>wstring module you mentioned.

	I added it to the CVS tree on Sunday evening.  The module is
simply built and installed when you compile the package, but nothing
else has been modified to make use of it.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
    "Not even Kit Marlowe will be able to gainsay that."