[XML-SIG] Re: Building xmldist

Randall Hopper aa8vb@yahoo.com
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 08:39:38 -0500

Fred L. Drake, Jr.:
 |Randall Hopper writes:
 | > from back in March builds and installs cleanly.  I'll give that a try
 | > pending further advice.
 |
 |  I work from the CVS directly, but that shouldn't make a difference.
 |The current approach is to run:
 |
 |	python ./setup.py install
 |
 |from the top of the tree; that seems to be fine.

Thanks, that did the trick.  Yesterday's CVS is installed and working well
with a few of the demos.

Say, what's a good forum to pose general XML questions (state-of-XML; not
necessarily tied to Python XML)?  The reason I ask is I picked up an XML
book to read on the plane last weekend (_Applied XML, A Toolkit for
Programmers_; Ceponkus, Hoodbhoy).  It seems to be a good first read for my
intended XML uses (app-to-app data exchange).  ...but as with most things
XML it was doubtless behind the times when it hit the shelves.

As I read through XML syntax, DTDs, the XML DOM API, etc. I'm wondering
things like, have DTDs been superceded by a new mechanism that supports
datatyping, is more flexible, and less rigid (XML Data and XML DCDs are
mentioned), etc.

Thanks,

Randall

--