[XML-SIG] 'searching' XML documents to extract 'chunks' of XML

Jeff.Johnson@icn.siemens.com Jeff.Johnson@icn.siemens.com
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:57:18 -0500

Looks like the tilda was missing from that URL... this one works:

http://www.handshake.de/~dieter/pyprojects/xslpattern.html

Cheers :)

Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de> on 03/10/99 03:14:42 PM

To:   tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk (Tony McDonald)
cc:   xml-sig@python.org (bcc: Jeff Johnson/Service/ICN)
Subject:  Re: [XML-SIG] 'searching' XML documents to extract 'chunks' of
      XML

Hello Tony
 > One thing I really need to do is to 'query' XML documents, and
 > extract portions of them. In Perl I would use the XQL module, based
 > on the XQL http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/xql.html W3C note,
 > which allows you to select tags,  and optionally, their children
 > based upon quite a few search criteria (eg value of attribute or
 > whether the parent has an attribute or content that matches your
 > search term).
If you can first transform your XML document into a DOM,
you may find "xsl-pattern" useful.
"xsl-pattern" is an implementation of the XSL pattern subset
(which is a XQL subset) -- see
     URL:http://www.handshake.de/pyprojects/xslpattern.html
for details.

Recently, 4XSL has been announced on this list (look into the
archive). At the time of the announcement, only match patterns
had been implemented. But, this may have changed meantime.

Dieter