[XML-SIG] 4DOM future

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:49:22 -0500 (EST)

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com writes:
>For instance, if we go with my leanings, which are towards an attribute-based
>approach, it would differ in a key way from PyDOM.  Then to get a standard
>Python binding, we'd have to hash it out.  That's why it would be nice to hear
>from some of the PyDOM implementors.  It's not going to be an easy issue to
>resolve, but I believe it is worth the effort.

The PyDom Node class has __getattr__/__setattr__ functions which
redirect attribute references to the corresponding get_*/set_*
function.  ExtensionClass would be helpful for doing computed
attribute values, but I've been reluctant to require it for the XML
tools; if the Distutils-SIG makes it trivial to install new extensions
and ExtensionClass is neatly packaged, maybe that additional
requirement isn't too bad.  I

I'm glad to hear that 4DOM will soon be able to run without an ORB; we
should figure out whether PyDOM is needed at all, in that case,
because I hate duplication of effort, and because the existence of
4XSL and 4XPath give 4DOM an advantage.

Most reformers wore rubber boots and stood on glass when God sent a current of
Commonsense through the Universe.
    -- Elbert Hubbard