[XML-SIG] foo.bar vs. foo.get_bar()

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:34:05 -0700

> uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com writes:
>  > Note that I don't like the idea of the Python binding officially supporting
>  > two approaches, i.e. "node.parent" _and_ "node.get_parent()".  I think it's
>  > great for implementations to provide alternatives, but the binding should
>  > require one unequivocally.
>
>   I think the "right" way would be for someone to look at the CORBA
> mapping the DO-SIG put together and follow that strictly; I think it's
> pretty much through the OMG process.  I've not been following that as
> closely as I'd like due to time constraints.

Unfortunately, there is no specification for CORBA attributes in the do-sig
Python binding.  I don't recall any discussion on the topic as long as I've
followed that list, but I can't imagine it is an easy topic, especially when
you consider that Python ORBs often already need to hijack __[g/s]etattr__ for
ORB run-time magic, marshalling, and all that.  The seemingly obvious approach
of "CORBA attributes == Python attributes" could lead to a nightmare for
Python/CORBA users, considering the delicacy of __[g/s]etattr__, especially in
the presence of inheritance.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants