[XML-SIG] Python 1.6 and XML

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:00:25 -0400 (EDT)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. writes:
>  The XML-SIG session decided that xmllib would not be changed, but
>marked deprecated once the SAX support was added to the standard
>library.
>  Andrew, were you working on getting this in?

SAX support?  Not yet, no, though we should start.  One issue is SAX1
vs. SAX2.  (I'd call for SAX2, myself; maybe the additional pressure
from a widely distributed Python implementation will wake the SAX2
specification process from its stupor.)

The most nasty issue is the unresolved package name question; if the
Python code includes a package named 'xml', that package name can't be
extended by add-on modules.  So what do we do?  Does the xml package
in the standard library automatically import all the names and modules
from some other package ('xml_ext'?  'xml2') in site-packages?  Maybe
this is a python-dev question...

This is good. It means that while Ionesco is dead, his spirit lives on.
  -- Gordon McMillan on how Windows attaches meaning to 3-character file
     extensions, 30 Jul 1999