[XML-SIG] SAX 2.0 alpha 1

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:09:12 -0500

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Paul Prescod
> |
> | I think that the there would be only stream-getting methods on a Python
> | InputSource. Java has the most confusing IO library of any language I
> | know...
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

See attached...

> My view is this: we should have both current Python file-like objects
> (byte streams) and the character streams in the new Python 1.6a2
> Unicode implementations, so that applications can either do conversion
> themselves or leave it to the parser.

How often will applications want to do conversion themselves? Surely if
they aren't happy with Python's encoding conversion they should "hook
in" at a lower level rather than in SAX!

> | Would it break things if the "mini" SAX2 that goes into the core library
> | did not have support for InputSource and entity handler overriding?
>
> Not necessarily, but I'm pretty sure the entity resolution stuff in
> the SAX2 distribution will be tiny, so it would hardly cost anything
> at all to have it there.

I'm thinking more about confusion, documentation, etc. SAX is not really
so "simple" anymore, when you get into entity handlers, decl handlers,
input sources, locators, etc. etc. I would like the documented interface
to be something that you could read and understand in fifteen minutes.

Or maybe it's the DOM event layer that should be that simple.

Here's the attachment I promised:

class java.io.InputStream
class java.io.ByteArrayInputStream
class java.io.FileInputStream
class java.io.FilterInputStream
class java.io.BufferedInputStream
class java.util.zip.CheckedInputStream
class java.io.DataInputStream (implements java.io.DataInput)
class java.security.DigestInputStream
class java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream
class java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream
class java.util.zip.ZipInputStream (implements
java.util.zip.ZipConstants)
class java.io.LineNumberInputStream
class java.io.PushbackInputStream
class java.io.ObjectInputStream (implements java.io.ObjectInput,
java.io.ObjectStreamConstants)
class java.io.PipedInputStream
class java.io.SequenceInputStream
class java.io.StringBufferInputStream
class java.io.Reader
class java.io.BufferedReader
class java.io.LineNumberReader
class java.io.CharArrayReader
class java.io.FilterReader
class java.io.PushbackReader
class java.io.InputStreamReader
class java.io.FileReader
class java.io.PipedReader
class java.io.StringReader
[In retrospect] the story of a Cold War that was the scene of history's
only nuclear arms race will be very different from the story of a Cold
War that turned out to be only the first of many interlocking nuclear
arms races in many parts of the world. The nuclear, question, in sum,
hangs like a giant question mark over our waning century.
        - The Unfinished Twentieth Century by Jonathan Schell
          Harper's Magazine, January 2000