[XML-SIG] Questions about this application

Carraway, Shawn scarraway@farmcreditproductions.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:25:46 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C00DE5.E673FAAA

Hi all,
This may sound like a bunch of stupid questions, but I need to ask some
things about Python and XML and don't know anyone who programs with Python
or where to turn for help.

I am a graduate student at the University of South Carolina in the College
of Library and Information Science.  I am currently part of a group that is
building a database using XML and would like to use Python to search the
database and then have the whole business available over the web.  The
reason we are looking at Python is because we have read that it is an easier
language to learn if you are not a programmer and because it is open source.
We chose XML for building the database because it is also open source and we
believe it is the future of the WWW.  If we can make this work, we plan to
open source the code and the idea, and have other projects in mind for the
future.

What I need to know is this:

1) First, can this be done?  What I read indicates that it can, but I want
to make sure.  If it cannot be done, there is no need to go on to the other
questions.

2) Is SaX only available for Linux?  I run Linux at home (as an alternative
to M$), but I am not a programmer and am by no means skilled with Linux - I
am an end user, although I did build the machine and installed/configured
Linux myself.

3) What browser do you use to view XML with Linux?  I use Netscape, but the
only browser I know that supports XML is IE5 - not available for Linux, and
Amaya - the W3C browser.

4) Can you direct me to more resources - like a user's group, maybe - or a
mailing list that would not flame stupid questions?  We did a database
project with ASP this summer and while there was a lot of documentation on
the web, it would have been nice to have someone to ask questions,
especially since our project differed somewhat from what we read on the web.

Thanks so much for all your help,
Shawna Carraway

------_=_NextPart_001_01C00DE5.E673FAAA

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>Questions about this application</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi all,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>This may sound like a bunch of stupid questions, but =
I need to ask some things about Python and XML and don't know anyone =
who programs with Python or where to turn for help.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am a graduate student at the University of South =
Carolina in the College of Library and Information Science.&nbsp; I am =
currently part of a group that is building a database using XML and =
would like to use Python to search the database and then have the whole =
business available over the web.&nbsp; The reason we are looking at =
Python is because we have read that it is an easier language to learn =
if you are not a programmer and because it is open source.&nbsp; We =
chose XML for building the database because it is also open source and =
we believe it is the future of the WWW.&nbsp; If we can make this work, =
we plan to open source the code and the idea, and have other projects =
in mind for the future.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>What I need to know is this:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>1) First, can this be done?&nbsp; What I read =
indicates that it can, but I want to make sure.&nbsp; If it cannot be =
done, there is no need to go on to the other questions.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>2) Is SaX only available for Linux?&nbsp; I run Linux =
at home (as an alternative to M$), but I am not a programmer and am by =
no means skilled with Linux - I am an end user, although I did build =
the machine and installed/configured Linux myself.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>3) What browser do you use to view XML with =
Linux?&nbsp; I use Netscape, but the only browser I know that supports =
XML is IE5 - not available for Linux, and Amaya - the W3C =
browser.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>4) Can you direct me to more resources - like a =
user's group, maybe - or a mailing list that would not flame stupid =
questions?&nbsp; We did a database project with ASP this summer and =
while there was a lot of documentation on the web, it would have been =
nice to have someone to ask questions, especially since our project =
differed somewhat from what we read on the web. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks so much for all your help,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Shawna Carraway</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C00DE5.E673FAAA--