[XML-SIG] Two pyexpat questions

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:10:44 -0400 (EDT)

  I have two questions about the pyexpat module.

1.  The module actually defines a sub-module, pyexpat.errors, which
    provides a number of constants that give the error numbers
    reported by Expat.  Does this really need to be a separate module?
    One issue with the way this is defined is that you can't say

	import pyexpat.errors

    unless you've also done an "import pyexpat" already (which was an
    improvement over not being able to import it at all, as in the
    original code).  How much objection would there be to make it a
    single module?

2.  Guido sees the pyexpat module as part of the "new XML order" for
    Python (my description), and I agree.  He'd like it to be
    importable as xml.parsers.expat instead of pyexpat.  This would
    break code, but I'm not sure how much.  Would this be terribly
    objectionable if pyexpat became _expat, and xml/parsers/expat.py
    contained something like:

	"""Really useful docstring..."""
	from _expat import *

  -Fred