[XML-SIG] Mixed encodings and XML

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:22:50 +0100

Tom Emerson wrote:

> > I need to convert the document to XML Docbook format.  My naive attempts
> > at converting to
> >
> > <screen xml:lang="zh-TW">
> > ... BIG5-encoded stuff ...
> > </screen>
> >
> > Of course don't work because the parser takes one look at the BIG5 and
> > throws a well-formedness error.
>
> Which it is required to do, see Section 4.3.3 of the XML specification.

This is not really related to text encodings, but somewhat similar:

Is there a standard way of including binary data in XML files ?

I would like to put a complete web-site into a (large) XML file.
The XML file should ideally contain not only the structure
information, attributes, etc. but also the HTML files, the images
and maybe even sound files or flash apps.

Is something like this possible or will I have to use some
other storage method for the binary parts and reference these
from within the XML file (I would prefer not to, so that I can
include e.g. the HTML file content in XML searches) ?

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg