[XML-SIG] Changes

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:52:51 -0500

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> I just noticed an error in your Python 2 changes list: the PyExpat
> module is really named pyexpat. I don't know whether the name is cast
> in stone already, but I'd really prefer it to be called "expat";
> Python modules don't need to indicate their Python-ness with a py
> prefix. For compatibility, the following pyexpat.py could be provided

I think that the current name makes more clear to maintainers which
files (pyexpat.*) are maintained by us and which are maintained by James
Clark. Further, we have to be careful of name clashes in terms of
expat.dll and pyexpat.dll. That isn't a problem now because the expat
DLL is not named expat.dll but I can easily imagine that one of Mozilla,
TCL, Perl or James Clark might also want the name expat.dll.

Adding a "py" doesn't hurt anyone and most people will be using expat
through the SAX API anyhow.

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski