[XML-SIG] Changes

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 12:07:58 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Prescod writes:
 > I think that the current name makes more clear to maintainers which
 > files (pyexpat.*) are maintained by us and which are maintained by James
 > Clark. Further, we have to be careful of name clashes in terms of
 > expat.dll and pyexpat.dll. That isn't a problem now because the expat
 > DLL is not named expat.dll but I can easily imagine that one of Mozilla,
 > TCL, Perl or James Clark might also want the name expat.dll.

  I hadn't thought about the DLL issue for Windows; that is a
reasonable problem we should try to avoid proactively.  How about
this:  rename pyexpat to _pyexpat and not use that as the interface,
but add xml/parser/expat.py which imports the appropriate names from
_pyexpat.  This keeps the namespace fairly clean and ensures we don't
have problems with the C extension for static builds (which doesn't
support putting C extensions in packages).
  Objections?  Better approaches?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>