[XML-SIG] Zope and DOM

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 22:40:15 +0200 (CEST)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:

 > I just noticed that Zope is distributed with something they call ZDOM,
 > which seems to be a straightforward DOM implementation, although with
 > some strange assumptions and base classes that I don't fully understand.
 >
 > However, it uses getFoo, where foo is an IDL attribute, rather than
 > get_foo or _get_foo, which is not very good for interoperability.  Are
 > lots of people using this? Should we try to get the Zope people to
 > change this?
As far as I now, DC works with FourThought for XML technology.

They, probably, won't like "_get_foo", because names starting
with "_" are private and can be used neither from DTML nor
from HTTP.

 > Also, one solution to problems like those Bjorn Pettersen has been
 > experiencing might be a DOM implementation based on ZODB. I've looked
 > at this briefly and it seems as though it should be fairly easy to do,
 > even though some attributes may not be available as attributes, but
 > only as methods. (Since we shouldn't use __getattr__ with ZODB.) The
 > _p_changed attribute also has to be maintained.
ZODB objects can have (application specific) attributes that
are accessed as attributes.
Usually, the "_p_changed" attribute is maintained automatically.
Jim Fulton recently announced that soon "__getattr__" and "__setattr__"
will be usable by the application.

 > Beyond that, however, implementing a DBDOM seems relatively
 > straightforward. Has anyone done this already? (If so, with what
 > interface?) Is there any interest in this sort of thing?
I just read, that they have such a thing.
Extract from a message of "Martijn Faassen <faassen@vet.uu.nl>"
to "zope-dev@zope.org" and "zope-xml@egroups.com":

 : Right -- XMLDocument does this. It parses the XML into a DOM-like tree,
 : storing the XML nodes as objects in the database. You still get an XML
 : view on it, but it's actually all objects.

Dieter