[XML-SIG] Reconsidering the DOM API

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:00:14 -0600

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> >
> > Just because I have to say it... 4XPath should work well with any DOM that
> > supports the binding (it actually only uses attribute access).  However, it
> > uses a C module and I understand those are harder to get sanctioned into the
> > Python distro.
>
> Because it is so much C code, and has a pretty sophisticated API, and
> also depends on a bunch of Python code, I would rather wait until 1.7
> for that. But I think we should give it serious consideration for 1.7.
> Having full XPath would absolutely rock. Also, it doesn't just depend on
> C -- it also depends on Yacc, right?
>
> I'm not yet ready to accept that no Python-coded parser could parse
> XPath efficiently. I want to propose that it is impossible to Fredrick
> and see what happens in the next beta of SRE. :)
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath

We can have LEX and YACC spit out ANSI compliant C Code to remove the
dependency on LEX and YACC.  That's currently how we do our windows
build.

> I'm not yet ready to accept that no Python-coded parser could parse
> XPath efficiently. I want to propose that it is impossible to Fredrick
> and see what happens in the next beta of SRE. :)

I actually started a conversation with Fredrick at IPC8 about SRE for
parsing XPath.  I'll try to pick it up where it was left off.  He made
some comments about not using the "public" API to get around some of the
problems.