[4suite] Re: [XML-SIG] Python 1.5 support with PyXML 0.6.2/4Suite0.9.2

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:45:59 -0700

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > There is an error in the comment of line 3 of the above snippet
> > (codecs are only in python2.0), so Python 1.5 will actually execute the
> > except statement, and therefore an xml.unicode.iso8859 package seems to be
> > required.
>
> It is required if you want Latin-1 output. If you want, say, Latin-2
> output, you lose with both releases. If you want UTF-8 output, it
> works in both cases.

I'm ever more confused now.  As I mentioned, I know of at least one
person who used the code to convert to ISO-8859-7.  Of course, if
they're still out there, they should speak up now...

> I could offer a solution restoring the functionality of 0.5.x (if not
> the API); provided somebody speaks up and says "yes, I need it, and I
> still use 0.5.x because 0.6 does not support Latin-1 output" when used
> with 4DOM.

Exactly.  Let's hear from those whom this would affect.  Possibly
there's no problem.  My personal feelings are that if character
conversions are a big need, it should make it all the more urgent to
migrate to Python 2.0.