[XML-SIG] I am confused!.. can I pick someones brains on pars ers?

Ken MacLeod ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us
01 Apr 2001 20:51:48 -0500

James Tauber <jtauber@bowstreet.com> writes:

> One of the characteristics of XML is that it provides a common
> syntax *regardless* of application and so a certain level of
> processing can be done that is *not* application specific.
>
> An XML parser or XSLT engine are examples of this.
>
> Typically, however, you want to build application specific objects
> from your XML. This can be done in a layered approach with a generic
> event-firing XML parser connected to an application specific object
> builder.

Rephrasing what James is saying, tying it to what I just posted,
Groves and RDF provide a common data model, and again, "a certain
level of processing can be done that is *not* application specific",
but also at a higher level than XML elements and attributes.

The RDF IG folks, for example, have recently been talking about
RDFTransform (XSLT mapped to RDF), RDFPath (XPath for RDF), etc.

This is all mostly academic at this point, so I hope no one is
bothered by my rambling about it!

  -- Ken