[XML-SIG] PyXML-0.6.6 installation locally in virtually-hosted web space (resent, updated)

lophty lists lists@lophty.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:49:55 -0400

[Note: this is an updated version of an email that I tried to send to
XML-SIG a while ago. I am resending because I got a "Returned mail:
Service unavailable" in my inbox regarding my earlier attempt to send to
the list. My apologies if you've already received this message.]

I would like to install PyXML and 4Suite along side of Python 2.1.1 in
some virtually-hosted web space.  I installed Py 2.1.1 on my account
some time ago and have been running Python cgi scripts with shebang
lines pointing to this  interpreter with no problems, but I am fumbling
the PyXML installation thus far and was hoping that I could get some
advice. The (very brief) README says that the release has been tested
with Py 1.5 and 2.0, but I didn't think that this would necessarily mean
that it won't work with 2.1.1 and I'm sure that my problems have more to
do with my own cluelessness than anything else.

After ungzipping and tar -xvf'ing the PyXML-0.6.6 tar.gz, I tried
placing it into Python-2.1.1/Modules, went into the PyXML-0.6.6 dir and
did "python setup.py install".  I got the following error message :

Traceback (innermost last) :
File "setup.py", line 9, in ?
ImportError: No module named distutils.core

Needless to say, moving the PyXML-0.6.6 dir around my Python install and
trying to install didn't work.  Same error msg.

I poked around in my Python install and found a folder "distutils" in
Python-2.1.1/Lib that contained a file core.py, but that doesn't seem
right (shouldn't it be in the Modules folder?).

Changing the shebang line in the PyXML-0.6.6 setup.py file to point to
my locally-installed Python interpreter instead of the old 1.5.2 Python
installed system-wide did not remedy the problem either.

Has anyone else worked through a similar situation?
I'd be grateful for any advice/help.

Thanks,
brian donovan
(on digest)