[XML-SIG] building XML docs using ?

15 May 2001 19:35:29 +0200

* Joe Murray

| So, with regard to speed, is there an XSLT processor (python or not)
| which take a SAX-like event-driven approach to transforming XML?

Currently there is not, and part of the reason for that is that some
parts of XSLT require the entire document to be available to the
processor at the same time. If you use only a subset of XSLT one can
use an event-based approach, but currently nobody has implemented
anything like this.

However, SAXON has some extensions that can enable you to build only
parts of the tree at a time. This puts some constraints on what you
are able to do, but you may be able to live with it.

| Does Sablotron support this?

It does not.

| It seems as if the Oracle XML parsers packages do... but after some
| surfin', I ain't certain...

I don't think they do, though there is a chance that I might be wrong.
You should in any case distinguish carefully between XML parsers
(nearly all of which have event-based interfaces) and XSLT engines.

--Lars M.