[XML-SIG] Cocoon-like, XML-Python-based web server?

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:15:29 -0700

> I'm sure that all of you know "Cocoon", the very nice XML-Java-based web
> server created by the Apache group (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon).
>
> Given that the Python community explicitly proposes Python as "the premier
> language for XML processing" (see: http://www.python.org/sigs/xml-sig/ ), I
> would expect to see an XML-based web server, like Cocoon, amongst the
> downloadables.
>
> Hence, I wonder if any Python programmer has ever evaluated the possibility
> to create an XML-based, dynamic, web server using Python and the 4Suite
> software (http://4suite.org). If so, could anybody give me instructions for
> finding that software and/or the related documentation?

Actually, 4Suite includes all this: a Web server (plus FTP server) that
provides XML, XSLT, XPath, RDF, Xlink, XPointer, XUpdate, etc. processing
built-in, all available from an XSLT or Python API.

Start with 4Suite 0.12.0a1

ftp://ftp.4suite.org/pub/4Suite/4Suite-0.12.0a1.tar.gz

Or if you don't mind working the bleeding edge (for a lot of advantages), grab
the latest CVS.

At any rate, see

http://cvs.4suite.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/4Suite/docs/src/HowTos/UNIX.txt?rev=1
.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

or

http://cvs.4suite.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/4Suite/docs/src/HowTos/Windows.txt?re
v=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

depending on platform, then on to

http://cvs.4suite.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/4Suite/docs/src/HowTos/QuickStart.txt
?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management