[XML-SIG] Preparing for PyXML 0.8

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:38:46 -0600

> Uche Ogbuji writes:
>  > Apparently not in Debian.  Perhaps this is actually a bug in the
>  > Debian packaging.  Perhaps Jerome was extra clever and decided to
>  > disable compiling pyexpat in since Python has its own?  Alexandre?
>  > Any ideas?
>
> Avoid excess cleverness and always use our own Expat/pyexpat?  Anyone
> that defeats the build support we provide is on there own, and should
> be mercilessly hunted down with suction-cup darts.

This one looks put to bed.

>  > Smart alec  :-)
>
> You know me!
>
>  > I was thinking more along the lines of what you said above: the
>  > person who made the change (you, I suppose) assumed PyXML always
>  > builds its own pyexpat.
>
> Actually, the pyexpat changes to add the interning and the
> xml.sax.expatreader use of that are Martin's contribution, based (at
> least in part) on conversations with me.  I think this is something
> you & I also discussed at Python 10, though I don't think we talked
> about the SAX changes.

Yes.  I knew we wanted to start interning: at IPC10 Mike and I mentioned we
already do this in cDomlette.  That's still not what I meant by understanding
what you or Martin had in mind.  You can still add interning and provide
fall-back modes for systems that can't support it.  I didn't know whether the
person who wrote the code knew more than I do about not needing such
fall-backs.  It turns out that they did know more than I did: they knew that
PyXML in future releases will always build its own expat.

Anyway, this issue looks all sorted out now.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/li
brary/x-think11.html