[XML-SIG] Ann: xvif 0.2.0

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:06:37 -0400

Michael McLay writes:
 > The Python long type has been merged with int and if I recall
 > corrrectly the use of long has been deprecated. The syntax for int
 > literals would also be more compatible with xs:integer than the
 > long literals.

I'm not sure what you mean by "merged"; they are decidely two distinct
types with incompatible internal representations.  This is unlikely to
change.  To the best of my knowledge, the long() constructor has not
been deprecated.

What has changed is that functions written in C are now much more
likely to accept a long if the value is in the range of a C int, and
Python will generate a long as needed for literals that exceed the
range of an int.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>