[XML-SIG] Ann: xvif 0.2.0

Eric van der Vlist vdv@dyomedea.com
01 Oct 2002 17:14:54 +0200

Hi Michael and Fred,
On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 17:06, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Michael McLay writes:
>  > The Python long type has been merged with int and if I recall
>  > corrrectly the use of long has been deprecated. The syntax for int
>  > literals would also be more compatible with xs:integer than the
>  > long literals.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "merged"; they are decidely two distinct
> types with incompatible internal representations.  This is unlikely to
> change.  To the best of my knowledge, the long() constructor has not
> been deprecated.
>
> What has changed is that functions written in C are now much more
> likely to accept a long if the value is in the range of a C int, and
> Python will generate a long as needed for literals that exceed the
> range of an int.

What I can tell is that if I change "long" to "int" as a base class for
the integer type, the test cases testing large value do fail.

It is the case for instance for this value:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <doc>4294967295</doc>

which is then considered invalid.

I am running python 2.2.1 on Debian sid:

Python 2.2.1 (#5, Sep 25 2002, 11:18:57)
[GCC 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)] on linux2

Eric
--
Did you know it? Python has now a Relax NG (partial) implementation.
                                          http://advogato.org/proj/xvif/