PyXML XPath and XSLT Re: [XML-SIG] Mass assignment of 4Suite bug reports

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:57:07 -0600

> On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 23:19, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, I also think that because of the growing difference between the two
> > code bases, that we should rename the set in PyXML.  I know I wanted to keep
> > the "4XPath" and "4XSLT" names, but given the increasing likelihood of
> > confusion, I think it's enough to record their provenience int he docs.
> >
> > If this seems like a good idea, how about "pyxpath" and "pyxslt"?
>

> I'm all for this.  What I would like to see then in xml.xpath and
> xml.xslt is smart import logic similar that in the default xml.

I think this is a good idea.  After all, if they can import the 4XPath/4XSLT
versions, they probably want to use those (faster, more features, etc.)

> So, if a user tries to import xml.xslt.processor it will first look to
> see if Ft.Xml.Xslt.Processor is available, and if not, then try
> xml.pyxslt.Processor.  Or, any other of the xslt processors that people
> are proposing.
>
> This means a common (or close to common) set of interfaces on Xslt
> parsers but that shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

Luckily, the only interfaces to the outside for the general programmer are

Processor
InputSource(Factory)
Context, XsltContext
Compile, Match, Evaluate

These should be easy to standardize.

I think the bigger roadblock might be the extension APIs, since those tend to
be close to internals.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC