[XML-SIG] Re: Issues with Unicode type

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
26 Sep 2002 19:58:35 +0200

Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no> writes:

> I don't know why my word alone is not enough, but here you go:

I wanted to see myself :-) Thanks for the pointers. Sorry if I
offended you.

> |   Reportedly, W2k will only use the UCS-2 table in a font that
> |   contains non-BMP characters, so I somewhat doubt your statement. WXP
> |   reportedly does support such fonts - but I have none.
>
> The screenshot above is taken on Windows 2000. The font is Code 2001.

I was confused by the requirement in the OpenType spec that a UCS-2
cmap table must be included "for backward compatibility needs" if the
font is has "UCS-4 character support for Windows 2000 and later".

Apparently, that backward compatibility is meant for other systems,
but not for Windows 2000.

Regards,
Martin