[XML-SIG] Working with non-compliant XML utilities

Alexandre Fayolle Alexandre.Fayolle at logilab.fr
Thu Dec 11 15:21:22 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:04:25PM -0500, Alleman, Lowell wrote:

> It is per-element.  For example element 'a' would always be <a></a>, but 'b'
> would have to be shown as '<b/>'.  If 'a' was written as '<a/> or 'b' as
> <b></b>, the application chokes.  It's pretty annoying.
>
> The good news is that when it comes down to actuality, only a few elements
> need to be tweaked.  It's always in the form of forcing "<e/>" to be written
> as "<e></e>", but never the other way around.

This reminds me of DTD validation of EMPTY elements:
if an element is declared EMPTY in a DTD, then it has to use the
shortcut notation, otherwise the document is not valid.

Now I agree that mandating some elements to use the <A></A> notation
denotes a severely broken parser.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
LOGILAB, Paris (France).