[XML-SIG] SOAP, Web services, hype, and Python

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
17 Mar 2003 07:43:29 +0100

Michael McLay <mmclay@comcast.net> writes:

> Am I being stubborn and they are correct, or is this stuff really
> broken and difficult to work with?

I think so, yes (more precisely: not broken, just ill-designed). It is
so complex that it ain't no fun. Whenever I need RPC, I use CORBA.

> Are web services considered a dead end in the Python community?

I can't speak for the community in general, but I'll observe that
people seem to contribute only things that they need in their own
projects. So from the lack of contributions, I'd conclude that nobody
really *needs* web services.

> If so, then what should I be investigating as an alternative?

I'd suggest to use an alternative infrastructure. I'd be curious what
kind of service you need to offer, and who the users of that service
would be (e.g. are client and server the same organization or
different ones, etc).

Regards,
Martin