[XML-SIG] SOAP, Web services, hype, and Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:45:11 +0100

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> Michael McLay <mmclay@comcast.net> writes:
>>Am I being stubborn and they are correct, or is this stuff really
>>broken and difficult to work with?
> I think so, yes (more precisely: not broken, just ill-designed). It is
> so complex that it ain't no fun. Whenever I need RPC, I use CORBA.
>>Are web services considered a dead end in the Python community?
> I can't speak for the community in general, but I'll observe that
> people seem to contribute only things that they need in their own
> projects. So from the lack of contributions, I'd conclude that nobody
> really *needs* web services.

I'll have to object to that. Web services are in wide spread
use and the base is getting larger.

I agree that getting everything to work isn't easy, which is one of the
reasons why Tim Couper and I have developed the Siena Web Services
Architecture (http://www.siena-tech.com/) -- it basically does away
with all the complicated stuff and lets programmers think about the
services themselves rather than all the logistics that go between the
using application and the server.

Marc-Andre Lemburg

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 17 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     15 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                        99 days left