[XML-SIG] PyXML Windows Installation to Multiple Python Installations?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 31 15:15:47 EDT 2004

Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> It does point to a weakness in the design of the keys that the Python
> installer adds to the registry, though.  I think it is not uncommon to
> have several Python installations of the same version on the same
> machine, and the registry setup should be able to refelct that.

With the current setup, that wouldn't really work: each installation
would need to know which part of the registry is theirs.

> This is
> nothing to do with PyXML, of course, but since Martin is closely
> involved with packaging Python itself (that's right, isn't it, Martin?),

Yes, altough bdist_wininst is Thomas Heller's doing. It is intentionally
simple to use for the packager; this, in turn, is essential because it
otherwise would not get used. As a result, it only supports the most
common case.

I plan to add another command to distutils, bdist_msi, which generates
a Microsoft Installer packager. I'll try to incorporate the idea of
allowing users to browse for a Python installation there, but that
library is still months ahead.

Regards,
Martin