[XML-SIG] automatically building Python data structures from DOM trees?

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Sat Dec 3 01:24:04 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 00:42 +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> > Thanks, Luis.
> >
> > Yep, and 'bar.bla[1].id == "2"' would work out of the box with Amara.
> >
> > One question, Han-Wen, do you have to use minidom as the source, or can
> > you go from straight XML?  Just seems unnecessary to parse to minidom
> > and then bind.
>
> No, but I'd like to have the source as a complete, in-memory tree. I
> thought that DOM was just a word for such a tree. I'm a complete XML
> newbie.

Some people use the term that way.  I wouldn't.  There's a W3C standard
called DOM, which is a tree.  It's also very suboptimal for Python.
Minidom is based on DOM but tries to make some concessions to Python's
simpler world view.  Many will tell you it's still way too Java-esque.

There are other tree models for XML that have nothing to do with DOM,
including Amara and ElementTree.

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com