[Mailman-Users] No address associated with nodename

Andrew Hedges ahedges at familyvoices.org
Tue Oct 18 20:21:29 CEST 2005

Context: I'm BRAND new to configuring mail servers, so go easy!  ;^)  I'm
running Mailman 2.1.6 on a Mac G4 running OS X 10.4.2 using the default
Postfix and Python installations (versions 2.1.5 and 2.3.5, respectively).

I've read the FAQ and everything else Google could find on the topic, but am
still having the problem characterized by the error messages below:

>From $prefix/logs/post:

Oct 18 11:41:08 2005 (92) post to fv-test from ahedges at familyvoices.org,
size=1356, message-id=<20051018140854.C83774AB4 at relay3.mail.twtelecom.net>,
1 failures

>From $prefix/logs/smtp:

Oct 18 11:41:08 2005 (92)
<20051018140854.C83774AB4 at relay3.mail.twtelecom.net> smtp to fv-test for 1
recips, completed in 2.918 seconds

>From $prefix/logs/smtp-failure:

Oct 18 11:41:10 2005 (92) Low level smtp error: (7, 'No address associated
with nodename'), msgid:
<mailman.0.1129644537.90.fv-test at lists.familyvoices.org>
Oct 18 11:41:10 2005 (92) delivery to ahedges at familyvoices.org failed with
code -1: (7, 'No address associated with nodename')

I don't see any errors in /var/logs/mail.log around that time.  Here are
some of my configs (note: I have experimented with lots of settings, but
these are the ones that were in effect when the above errors occurred):

>From /etc/postifx/main.cf

owner_request_special = no
recipient_delimiter = +
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
alias_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,hash:/Users/macadmin/Mailman/data/alias
es
default_process_limit = 150
qmqr_message_active_limit = 40000
qmgr_message_recipient_limit = 40000
disable_dns_lookups = yes
mydomain = familyvoices.org
myhostname = lists.familyvoices.org
myorigin = $mydomain
mydestination = $myhostname
relayhost =[relay2.mail.twtelecom.net]
mydomain_fallback = lists.familyvoices.org
mynetworks_style = host
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks reject_unauth_destination

>From $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py:

MTA = "Postfix"
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.familyvoices.org'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.familyvoices.org'
add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST,DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
DEFAULT_MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE = 64       # KB
SMTPHOST = 'lists'

Any help is appreciated!
-Andrew

PS:  As an aside, is it typical for it to take nearly 3 seconds for Mailman
to process one, puny message to a list with one, puny recipient?  What's the
gate on performance?  Disk speed?  CPU?  Network connection?  Our lists
won't be large (the largest is around 200 members), but we will have about
40 of them.  Will this overload my little Mac?

-----
Andrew Hedges
Technology Coordinator
Family Voices, Inc.