[Mailman-Users] No address associated with nodename

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Tue Oct 18 20:57:27 CEST 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Andrew Hedges wrote:

> Context: I'm BRAND new to configuring mail servers, so go easy!  ;^)  I'm
> running Mailman 2.1.6 on a Mac G4 running OS X 10.4.2 using the default
> Postfix and Python installations (versions 2.1.5 and 2.3.5, respectively).

I'm one of the resident MacOS X experts here although this appears to be a
DNS problem and nothing MacOS X or mailman specific.

> >From $prefix/logs/smtp-failure:
>
> Oct 18 11:41:10 2005 (92) Low level smtp error: (7, 'No address associated
> with nodename'), msgid:
> <mailman.0.1129644537.90.fv-test at lists.familyvoices.org>
> Oct 18 11:41:10 2005 (92) delivery to ahedges at familyvoices.org failed with
> code -1: (7, 'No address associated with nodename')

A cryptic message to be sure but I think it's trying to tell you it can't
resolve lists.familyvoices.org. When I try to lookup that name, I get a
SERVFAIL error which means your DNS is not set up correctly and the server
is encountering an error when trying to resolve lists.familyvoices.org.

Fix that, then see what happens.

-- Larry Stone
   lstone19 at stonejongleux.com