[Mailman-Users] troubles with multiple installations on the same machine

Davide Galletti davide at davide.galletti.name
Fri Jan 27 17:41:55 CET 2006

Hi all,

I am having troubles installing more than one instance on the same LINUX
FEDORA CORE 2 box.
The need arises from having to manage lists for more than one domain
(e.g. abitipuliti.org liste.cnms.it  swazitalia.org ...)
I understand that installing multiple instances is the best choiche ...
am I right?
(FAQ: "Multiple installations on the same machine can be used to avoid
the list naming restrictions"
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.047.htp
I accurately ( I hope ) followed the instructions on:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/index.html

The 1st instance for abitipuliti.org works just fine
On the 2nd and 3rd for liste.cnms.it and swazitalia.org I get some
PROBLEMS:

When I fill in the form on
 - http://liste.cnms.it/mailman/create    (2nd)
and on
 - http://swazitalia.org/mailman/create (3rd)
I get

      *Error: /Unknown virtual host: liste.cnms.it/*

*Error: /Unknown virtual host: swazitalia.org/*
On both forms it will accept as "List creator's (authentication)
password"  the password of the 1st instance!!
Also some URLs point erroneusly from 2nd or 3nd web interface to 1st domain.

If I create the list from the command line I get the  notification of
the new list but  when  click to the URL
http://swazitalia.org/mailman/admin/test
I get:  No such list /test/

CONFIGURATION:
 $prefix = /var/mailman

 Apache httpd.conf
 <VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName abitipuliti.org
  ProxyVia on
  ScriptAlias /mailman/* /var/mailman/cgi-bin/*
  Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
 </VirtualHost>

 $prefix = /data/mailman

 ./configure --prefix=/data/mailman --with-cgi-gid=apache
--with-mailhost=liste.cnms.it --with-urlhost=liste.cnms.it

 Apache httpd.conf
 <VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName liste.cnms.it
  ProxyVia on
  ScriptAlias /mailman/* /data/mailman/cgi-bin/*
  Alias /pipermail/ /data/mailman/archives/public/
 </VirtualHost>

 $prefix = /data/mailmanswazitalia

 ./configure --prefix=/data/mailmanswazitalia --with-cgi-gid=apache
--with-mailhost=swazitalia.org --with-urlhost=swazitalia.org

 Apache httpd.conf
 <VirtualHost *:80>
  DocumentRoot /data/www/swazitalia
  ServerName swazitalia.org
  ProxyVia on
  ScriptAlias /mailman/* /data/mailmanswazitalia/cgi-bin/*
  Alias /pipermail/ /data/mailmanswazitalia/archives/public/
 </VirtualHost>

Any hint?
Anything I can try to understand where is the configuration error?
Alternative configurations?

Thanks so much for your patience,

Davide