[AstroPy] Ubuntu packages and state of AstroLib

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 14:30:34 EDT 2011

It seems to me that it makes sense to have pywcs available as a
separate package on PyPI and thus have it easily packagable on the
various distros (and via pip or easy_install).  Just like how pyfits
is used sometimes as a standalone and sometimes in conjunction with
other stsci_python pacakges, there are a lot of pywcs use cases that
don't require anything else other than pyfits.  I know I've been kept
from using it in some places because it's much harder to automate
installation of a package if it isn't on PyPI.  Maybe this isn't
possible due to some kind of dependency I'm not aware of, though.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM, James Turner <jturner at gemini.edu> wrote:
>> are there Ubuntu packages available for AstroLib? And/or are the packages
>> for Debian or are there any efforts to create such?
>
> I don't think so so far, but...
>
>> Since I need pywcs for Ubuntu, I would volunteer to create such a
>> package, but I'd like to avoid doubling effort.
>
> Be aware that pywcs is also being distributed with STScI Python now,
> so you might even have it already.
>
> Of course it would be good to have Astrolib easily installable,
> rather than just sitting in the repository for developers to grab.
> In future I expect it will be part of the easy-install Python
> distribution we have started working on. Unfortunately it has taken
> rather a long time to get the documentation server set up that was
> requested last year, to help make Astrolib more accessible.
>
> STScI are more familiar with what's already there than I am and
> might have better guidance re. their intentions etc. (they are
> probably reading this).
>
> Cheers,
>
> James.
>

>> In case I would need to create them myself: it seems a bit unclear on
>> how to get started. The astrolib homepage<http://www.astrolib.org>  does
>> not show any releases; however there seem to be some openSUSE package
>> built from a (released??) version
>> http://stsdas.stsci.edu/astrolib/pywcs-1.9-4.4.4.tar.gz
>>
>> What is the current state of this software?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Ole

Erik Tollerud