[BangPypers] how to learn programming

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridhar.ratna at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 08:50:31 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Darkseid <lorddaemon at gmail.com> wrote:

>> have found those how have programmed  in C/C++ are generally better(in
>> problem solving) than who program in other languages.
>
> I would disagree quite strongly based on my experience. I don't thing C/C++
> programmers are any worse, but they certainly aren't any better on average.
> What I have observed in my particular area of work (which has an emphasis on
> OO) is that C/C++ programmers are least likely to respect good OO practices,
> followed closely by Java/C# folks.

I'm guessing that Prasanna was thinking of ACM ICPC kind of problems
when he claimed that C/C++ is better in problem solving. These kind of
problems require the contestant to write code so that they run within
a given time limit.. a restriction which forces one to write it on
C/C++ than a high-level language.

BTW, if one is just starting to learn programming.. I hear HtDP is
pretty good - http://htdp.org/