[Baypiggies] Voting for a new name

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Apr 13 17:57:42 CEST 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 7:23 AM, Marilyn Davis wrote:

> It's true that my department director cringed and became dismissive of
> me after I told him I was giving a talk at baypiggies, even after I
> said what it was, but that's not my big issue.  I can certainly
> remember to say the whole name next time.

The big issue, as you've stated, appears to be that you're taking out
your inability to communicate with your boss on a large group of
people who have no such issue.

> After much thought, I realize that the deeper problem I have with the
> name is that it is degrading, self-defeating, and impolite.

This is a language named for a comedy troupe. Perhaps you should
specialize in something like perl or ruby, where the name has no such
silly baggage.

Sir Lancelot: Look, my liege!
[trumpets play a fanfare as the camera cuts briefly to the sight of a
majestic castle]
King Arthur: [in awe] Camelot!
Sir Galahad: [in awe] Camelot!
Sir Lancelot: [in awe] Camelot!
Patsy: [derisively] It's only a model!
King Arthur: Shh!
King Arthur: On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a
silly place.

And, I agree with Willy: there's as much negative baggage with
pythons as there is with pigs. I happen to like both, but I've always
been odd.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net