[PyBel] ASBL/VZW creation?

Didrik Pinte dpinte at enthought.com
Thu Aug 11 11:45:45 EDT 2016

On 10 August 2016 at 17:40, Stephane Wirtel <stephane at wirtel.be> wrote:

> Hi Didrik,
>
> On 08/10, Didrik Pinte wrote:
>
>> On 5 August 2016 at 15:30, Stephane Wirtel <stephane at wirtel.be> wrote:
>>
>> We first need to setup an asbl/vzw/VoG.

>>> sponsors.
>>>

>> I think it is really needed. I would be very happy to donate to support
>> various things but that will have to go through my company, which will
>> also
>> require a legal entity to donate to.
>>
> Yep, I understand and it's my case with my freelancer status. I can give
> time but not money.
>

>> but I am totally agree with you. without that, we are not a legal entity
>>> and we can't organise the PyCon.BE or EuroPython in Belgium for
>>> 2019/2020.
>>>

>> If we want to go this way, I can ask a lawyer to draft the articles of
>> association. There will be some specific criteria to be filled in, in
>> particular if there is a will to organize larger events in the future.
>>
> In the case of EuroPython, there is the EuroPython Society.
>
> For PyCon.be, we do agree with you, we need good statuses, but what do you
> propose for the specific criteria.

The list will more than likely be pretty clear once we have a specific set
of questions from a lawyer and a first meeting with the people who want to
be part of founding the asbl/vzw.

Do we need/want a membership fee, how do we elect board members, how do we
want to manage budgets (specific mandates for certain people), etc.

>> I suggest people interested in investing some time in the ASBL/VZW contact
>> me directly. We will organise a meeting shortly and discuss the various
>> details. How does that sound?
>>
> Firstly, we need to have some active members.

I guess we surely have some, at least looking at the activity of the
different mailing list over the past months and the consolidation that is
happening.

> Secondly, why you directly ?

It's a proposal. I'm pretty happy if anyone else wants to do it but someone
will have to kick something off ;-)

-- Didrik