[Catalog-sig] PyPI replication project

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 9 23:18:10 CEST 2008

>> Did you consider offering to host and manage PyPI *instead* of creating
>> this mirror?
>
> What is the background for this question? Right now we have the problem
> that we must have the eggs and source code archive available for doing
> buildout - we don't depend on the metadata and the PyPI software itself.
> Are you asking because your server setup is too limited or needs further
> resource concerning reliability and availability?

I'm concerned that PyPI will fork, and that users have to chose between
your installation, and PyPI, in particular for publishing packages
(I assume that initially, uploading to your infrastructure might not
be possible, but what you describe sounds like a good starting point for
a package repository).

I don't think the machine running pypi.python.org is too limited, but
in order to provide the availability you complained is missing, having
full-time personnel managing it would be useful (not because it needs
constant maintenance, but so that somebody is there who can respond
quickly).

So if you would host PyPI on these machines, it might be that the
mirroring software becomes unnecessary, and that the added redundancy
and maintenance staff can provide what you need without creating
a separate repository.