[Catalog-sig] New classifiers for Plone

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Nov 18 21:05:30 CET 2011

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 8:17 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Alex Clark wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> We actually don't want those, unless you want to use 4 instead of 4.0. Using 3 (or 3.0) does not
>>> help us, as we don't intend to classify add-ons for releases prior to egg-based Plone releases
>>> (starting at 3.2).
>>
>> Well, you don't, but users may want to browser PyPI and other similar
>> indexes based on products for Plone, Plone 3 and Plone 4.
>>
>> The reasoning behind using major release classifiers is that package
>> authors may now want to update the classifiers for their packages
>> every time you issue a new release (by making a new release of the
>> package).
>>
>> The unqualified category is needed for consistency with the other parent
>> categories in the trove index.
>>
>>> We also discussed keeping the list as small as possible on the other thread.
>>
>> The above just follows the same schema as used for Python itself:
>

> I understand the need for Python itself, but for Plone or <put a
> framework name here>, does that make sense to add/maintain in the
> Trove the framework versions ? that's an endless list to maintain, and
> it makes me think that maybe we should allow *custom* trove
> classifiers, so people can extend that list without having to ask
> additions in the main trove list all the time

While custom classifiers would be nice, you'd also end up with
inconsistencies, different naming for the same thing and lots
of typos.

Perhaps adding a limited form of such custom classifiers would
work out at least for some parts of the tree:

    If a::b is in the index, then qualifiers using a::b as prefix
    would also be accepted, e.g. a::b::c and a::b::c::d.

That way e.g. frameworks could start using subtrees that they manage
themselves.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 18 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/