[Chicago] Talk proposal for Feb: mapping

Phil Robare verisimilidude at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 00:56:03 CET 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 10:48 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 8:44 PM, Paul Smith <paulsmith at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > If there's any interest in this topic, I'd like to give a quick
> > tutorial in setting up a mapping solution from scratch with Mapnik,
> > Django, and OpenLayers.
> >
> > Looking forward to the meeting and to PyCon,
>
> I am psyched about this meeting and I was wondering if anyone from
> Navteq is in our group. If not, does anyone know if they use python?

I was at Navteq for a while.  My use of python was solely on the basis
of side projects, although I did use it to access the database and
draw some pretty maps of where updates were being applied and such.
The web stuff and the backend data management when I left (4 years
ago) were all being done in Java/Oracle, with the embedded stuff being
done in C.  Nothing I have heard since I left has indicated any
change.  They have really become much more oriented to marketing what
they have than creating new extensions.  3D data base integration,
satellite integration, street level photos - all the things that you
now see on Google Maps - were suggested before I left and not acted
upon. Integration with advertisers was more actively pursued.

Maybe the Nokia buyout will change things but I doubt it.  I see even
more cell phone location aware advertising in their future.

Phil