[Chicago] Chef

Tal Liron tal.liron at threecrickets.com
Thu Sep 23 16:16:53 CEST 2010

  Sure, you can write your scripts in any language. But, what of your
script uses a Python 2.6 feature and you happen to be deploying to a
platform that has 2.4? Welcome to the world of today, of major Linux
distributions.

Of course, I'm recommending Bash here, but it has a lot of the same
problems. There are differences between *BSD, GNU and Solaris userland
that can make or break. I guess I prefer Bash because these differences
are old, documented and stable. "Agile" languages are quickly moving
targets for deployment.

My problem with Chef was first installing it: getting dependencies at
their right versions, and then making sure that clients and servers had
the exact same version, because Chef spits out strange error messages if
it doesn't.

The promise of Chef/Puppet is really nice -- to abstract the painful
differences between deployment targets. But I think the projects
themselves have a ways to go.

-Tal