[Conferences] Fwd: Long-term planning of Python events

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Apr 21 00:23:46 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 22:36:18 Catherine Devlin wrote:
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEvents looks useful, but underused, and
> insufficiently well-known.

It is linked to from the main site, though. Your mission is to tell us how to
get there from the main page. ;-) Such matters of site structure are perhaps
of more interest to the revitalised pydotorg-www list, however.

I keep showing the following calendar off because it looks nicer and is meant
to work in a Wiki context (rather than being some all-Google external thing):

http://wiki.fsfe.org/FellowshipEvents

It would be completely possible to have tentative events in the same view as
real events, perhaps only visible to conference planning people. The prettier
such stuff is, the more likely they'll use it and not replicate it in a
Google-only environment. :-)

> ... but, of course, event organizers may not think to get an event listed
> there until long after they've made their decision, and you've made yours.
> It definitely doesn't meet your yearlong planning horizon requirement... I
> wonder if there's any hope of getting that level of planning.  Our first
> PyOhio took place about four months after we first *imagined* it...

Even if you're planning at short notice, there's still the advantage of having
other conferences listed for a long period of time as some kind of "warning"
about appropriate dates. Meanwhile, those other conferences can't do much
about someone planning something which clashes with their dates at the last
minute, but by then they'll have announced their event several times and will
hopefully have attracted a good number of participants.

Paul

P.S. In KMail, I chose "Reply to Mailing-List" to reply to this message. ;-)