[core-workflow] GitHub migration update for 2016-12-03

Brett Cannon brett at snarky.ca
Sat Dec 3 19:40:49 EST 2016

   - Started the conversation with Zach Ware about updating the buildbots
   (doesn't sound too troublesome)
   - Maciej and Ezio got a GitHub PR field added to bugs.python.org
      - Next step is to review
      http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/issue589 so that PRs
      automatically populate the field on b.p.o
      - Once we make the connection from PR to issue then
      http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/issue590 can be reviewed
      so that commits leave a comment on b.p.o
   - I got the code for hg.python.org/hglookup
      - Asking if there's any reason I can't post it publicly
      - Need to figure out the best way to extract all commit IDs from a
      Mercurial repoistory
      - Need to update the code to use the commit IDs (both 12 and 40
      character lengths) for linking to hg commits
      - Need to update the code to accept 10 or longer hashes from git
      (default used to be 7, but git 2.11 now calculates the shortest,
      unamibiguous hash and CPython is big enough to need 10 characters)
   - Everything else either requires we have moved over to GitHub or isn't
   a blocker
   - Chose Codecov for our code coverage provider!

I think that's everything that's blocking migration. If people want to help
then please have a look at
http://cpython-devguide.readthedocs.io/en/github/ and
see if anything was missed for the migration and/or help Ezio and Maciej
with the b.p.o changes.

As soon as we migrate we will want to solve the Misc/NEWS problem as that
will be the biggest pain point/regression compared to the hg workflow. You
can read the PEP for the chosen workflow if people want to start thinking
about a solution.

After fixing Misc/NEWS the next pain point will be coming up with the best
way to handle cherry picking (initially we will use labels to keep track of
PRs that need backporting, but obviously automating the creation of the
cherry picks as PRs would be great and this will require solving the
Misc/NEWS problem).